Hartford InsurTech Hub, powered by Startupbootcamp, unveiled the 2019 cohort of startups for its acceleration program. The chosen startups cover a wide range of abilities, from property insurance claims to peer-to-peer (P2P) insurance. The 10 selected startups exhibit a variety of technologies and insurance types.
Selected from more than 230 applications, each startup will relocate to Hartford ready for the start of the program in February and will remain for its three-month duration.
For the startups themselves, joining the program means they will receive the support, resources, and industry and investor connections they need to help grow their businesses. With support from Startupbootcamp, the teams will be provided with access to an extensive range of partners, mentors, and investors from across the accelerator’s global network.
The 10 startups that will join the second year of the Hartford InsurTech Hub acceleration program will work closely with Hartford InsurTech Hub’s insurance corporate partners: Aetna, Capgemini, Cigna, Clyde & Co., Deloitte, The Hartford, Travelers, USAA, White Mountains and CTNext.
The startups include:
- Pineapple: Pineapple offers a fair, transparent, and affinity based P2P insurance and they’re coming to Hartford from South Africa.
- handdii: Coming from Australia, handdii is a digital platform that automates the property insurance claim process from FNOL through to claim finalization.
- Dream Payments: Dream Payments is a Fintech startup from Canada that powers digital and mobile payment services for business customers.
- Pitch Gauge: Pitch Gauge, from Georgia, is a roofing estimating application using mobile devices to do property inspections.
- Medyear: From New York, Medyear is a social network for healthcare collaboration. They connect consumers to over 190 health systems and 700k doctors for real-time chat, secure email, microblogging, and personal health records.
- SkyWatch: SkyWatch is a licensed insurance broker in all 50 US states offering a holistic software solution for on-demand risk-aware solutions for connected, moving platforms. They’re originally from California.
- Talem Health Analytics: Coming from Canada, Talem Health Analytics provides data driven insights on bodily injury claims cost.
- See Your Box: See Your Box provides Industrial IoT tools to digitize supply chains. SYB is a tech-service platform that collects, analyses and extracts information related to goods across all steps of the supply chain and is coming to Hartford from Switzerland.
- ClaimSpace: Coming from Australia, ClaimSpace is a platform that bridges the communication gap between customers, insurers and stakeholders during the claims process.
- CareValidate: Powered by a life-saving light bulb called SafeLight, CareValidate provides health, safety, and quality of care telematics to transform workers’ compensation, senior living, long-term care, life, and health insurance products with plug-and-play insurtech solutions. They’re originally from Georgia.
Sabine VanderLinden, CEO at Startupbootcamp InsurTech, expressed her excitement by saying, “The insurance industry is continuously evolving and technology is having a huge impact. InsurTech of the past has been about enhancing retail-based offerings with improved customer engagement. InsurTech of today is focused on business model innovation and reconfiguring value chains—something we are committed to developing in Hartford.”
She continued, “We have built strong foundations over the last 18 months and we’re on the way to transforming the city of Hartford into the InsurTech capital of the United States. There’s still much to do and I am therefore delighted to be welcoming some truly inspiring teams into the next program in Hartford to continue this transformation.”
Dawn LeBlanc, Managing Director at Hartford InsurTech Hub, added, “The startups mentioned the most unique and valuable portion of the Selection Days experience has been the tremendous support and input from the broader community involved in InsurTech. From insurance experts, lawyers, regulators, investors, mentors, politicians, and potential collaborators, each shared their insight to promote growth of their business and were able to make valuable connections.”
After five months of scouting more than 500 startups from 38 different countries, the announcement comes after 22 talented InsurTech startups met in Hartford for three intensive Selection Days. Hartford InsurTech Hub’s corporate partners, mentors, and investors selected the 10 most relevant insurance technology startups that will enter its cohort beginning in February 2019.
About Hartford InsurTech Hub
Hartford InsurTech Hub is an initiative established in 2017 by Hartford insurance companies, the city of Hartford, and CTNext. Focused on addressing the need for attracting new technologies and talent in insurance and technology into Hartford and the local ecosystem.
Hartford InsurTech Hub is part of Startupbootcamp, the award-winning global network of industry-focused accelerator programs that help startups gain access to relevant mentors, partners, and investors in their industries.